Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Six Little Kiddie Pet-Peeves & Six Things to Love

By Sarah

6 Little Kiddie Pet-Peeves!
Here is a list of some of the silly things that bug me:
1. When kids ask “Huh?” if they can’t understand what is being said. Dad was pretty good about correcting us on this one when we were kids. Carson was about 3 years old when he started saying it and it took some nagging him on our part, but it worked. Now he’ll ask “What?”… We haven’t quite gotten the “Beg your pardon?” down yet! (Jamie's Note: Sarah, I'm with you on that one!!  I have already started correcting Mya...and now she corrects Jim!)

2. Jeans or pants that are too short or rolled up on kids. This really bugs me! I always wonder why the parents don’t buy pants that fit?! Some might think it’s cute to see a little kiddo with rolled up pants or patterned socks sticking out around the ankle but I don’t. Whoever thought of that little elastic waste band adjuster inside kids’ pants- genius!!!!

3. Cartoon character t-shirts. Sponge Bob, Power Rangers, Batman, Spiderman, etc… I would buy these for Carson all the time when he was a little guy and I will probably do the same for this one on the way. I think they are soooo tacky (it’s even worse to see one on an adult), but when you hear that excited little voice scream out “Spidey, mom! I want that shirt with Spidey on it”, how could you say no?

4. Kids that need haircuts. Yes, it’s a little unfair of me to say that since I do it for a living, but when I see a little girl with bangs hanging in her eyes and a boy that, well, looks like a girl, I just wish I could pull them aside and snip away!!! When a little girl is growing out her bangs or when a boy is going for the “long hair look”, that is fine, but I can usually spot a kid whose parents are too lazy to take him/her to Cookie Cutters for a clean up or bang trim! I even give the parents that do the cuts themselves credit versus ones that don’t do a darn thing at all!

5. Spanking (hitting, smacking or swatting- SAME thing). Yes- this is an adult pet-peeve of mine!

6. Tattle tales. Since I have had one child for nearly eight years, I do not experience this regularly. It drives me absolutely crazy when I do hear this going on with other kids. I know I did it when I was a kid- sorry mom and dad- I now realize how it must have really bugged you!!!!


6 Things I just love about little ones:
1. When they laugh! There’s nothing more precious than hearing that contagious little laugh belted out from a little one.

2. When they try to make me laugh! Watching a child act totally crazy silly is so great. I think it builds their confidence and sense of humor when you encourage this!

3. Hugs and kisses. There’s no better way of showing love than this. Those little arms wrapped around me and little lips are just the best.

4. When a child tells a story. I just love hearing a little tiny voice telling or even trying to tell a story about something- anything. The little stutters or quiver in their voice when they really want you know something is priceless. Sometimes it’s hard not to finish their sentence because you know what they are trying to say- but don’t do it! Let them fumble through!

5. Hearing a child’s voice on the phone. It’s soooo sweet to hear that little voice on the other end of the phone. Everything they say is so cute- no matter what it is!

6. After a bath or shower- when his hair is all wet and he smells like soap. Awww- I just love that! I also love it when Carson “styles his hair”- it’s so funny. I wonder if he really has a look he is going for???

No comments:

Post a Comment